Sunday, March 7, 2010

Prayers for the 3rd Week in Lent


The Watchword for the Week:
Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon
him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6



Christ invites us to come to worship
To rest from the things that are troubling us
To pray for the needs of those close us as well as for the needs of the world
To realize what we can offer to others
And so to return into the world to serve
Let us worship God.

Psalm 63:1-8

O God, you are my God,
I seek you, my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands and call on your name.
My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,
and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
when I think of you on my bed,
and meditate on you in the watches of the night;
for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.


Confession of Sin
(from the Liturgy for Lent II, pages78-79

Lord Jesus, we come before you in humble confession. Help us conform our lives to you as the model for holy and righteous living.

Forgive us for our desire for personal greatness, for our attempts to make gods of ourselves, for our willingness to exalt ourselves at the expense of others, and for our resistance to serving one another as you have served us.

Forgive us for making light of your obedience and sacrifice on the cross by living an undisciplined and indifferent Christian witness; forgive us for yielding to fear rather than relying on your strength to take the risks of discipleship.

Forgive us, dear Jesus, for times we have not looked to you as our Lord, and for allowing the clamoring distractions of the world to become higher priorities than you. Forgive us for yielding more to the temptations of this world than being transformed by your lordship over our lives.


May the Holy Spirit empower us to accept the grace that our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ offers to us today. Hear the words of our Lord, “Your sins are forgiven, go and sin no more.”

Let the peace of Christ rule in our hearts, since as members of one body we were called to peace. And let us be thankful.


Read and contemplate the Moravian Daily Texts for today. Don't rush pause over words that catch your spirit. When you are finished take time to pray for the needs of the world, your community, and yourself, then continue with the prayer as follows.



As you taught your disciples to pray, so we pray together:

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Your Kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours.
Now and for ever. Amen


And now, most merciful God, we ask you to continue extending your grace and favor towards us; May we take time each day to seek you with our whole heart.
Let your truth abide and be established among us forever.
Help our unbelief, increase our faith, give us hearts to consider your many gifts to us.
In faith clothe us with Christ, that he may live in us,
And your name may be glorified in us, in the sight of all the world.
Christ, and him crucified,
Remain our confession of faith. Amen.

No comments: