Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Prayers for the 4th Week After Pentecost

The watchword for the week: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end. Lamentations 3:22

O come let us worship and lift our hearts high
and adore our God, our Creator.
For you indeed are God,
and we are your people,
crafted by the skill of your hands.

Psalm 30

1 I will extol you, O Lord, for you have drawn me up, and did not let my foes rejoice over me.
2 O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
3 O Lord, you brought up my soul from Sheol, restored me to life from among those gone down to the Pit.
4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you his faithful ones, and give thanks to his holy name.
5 For his anger is but for a moment; his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may linger for the night, but joy comes with the morning.
6 As for me, I said in my prosperity, "I shall never be moved."
7 By your favor, O Lord, you had established me as a strong mountain; you hid your face; I was dismayed.
8 To you, O Lord, I cried, and to the Lord I made supplication:
9 "What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the Pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness?
10 Hear, O Lord, and be gracious to me! O Lord, be my helper!"
11 You have turned my mourning into dancing; you have taken off my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
12 so that my soul may praise you and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks to you forever.

Let us Confess our Sins:

Gracious God, we are thankful that your love is steadfast towards us. Your love is unwavering, unconditional, and given freely and abundantly. We acknowledge that our love for you has wavered and become lukewarm. We confess that at times we have been unfaithful servants seeking after worldly acceptance, self gratification, and material gain. We often deceive ourselves into thinking that we can live without you, and act in ways which prove that we think your eyes are turned and your ears are closed to us. Lead us into lives worthy of our calling in Christ, with humility and patience, bearing one another in love, and eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. We pray for this in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Thanks be to God, who has loved us from the beginning, and who promises that if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and will purify us from all unrighteousness.
Our Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces; he will remove the disgrace of his people from the earth. In that day we will say, “Surely this is our God; we trusted in him, and he saved us. Let us rejoice in his salvation.”

Take time now to read today's Daily Text, and then pray for the needs of those close to you, and the needs of those around the world. When you are finished continue as follows:


O Lord, hear us now as we brothers and sisters in Christ pray together.

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.


You send us to bring good news to the oppressed,
and to bind the wounds of those broken in heart,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
and the opening of prisons to those who are bound,
to announce the year of your grace,
to comfort all who mourn,
to give them a garland of consolation,
instead of the ashes of mourning,
the oil of gladness and healing,
and the rolling tears that wash away sorrow.
So may we be called oaks of righteousness,
trees that you plant to shade and sustain.
As the earth puts forth its blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
so you make justice flower,
and bear its fruit of peace among the peoples.


Lord of the dance, in whom we live and move and exult for joy, guide our steps through the complexity of our lives.
Keep us mindful of your steadfast love for us, and ways in which we can make that love come alive in the hearts of those that we love, serve, and come in contact with this very day. AMEN.

No comments: